Properly getting dressed in suitable costumes is crucial to any actor. Hence, in this post, we will provide you with a guide to choose costumes for actors!
A gorgeous and charming costume will decide how much impression an actor makes on his/her audience. Therefore, if you tend to set your first steps on the acting career, you should know how to get dressed appropriately. What’s more, wearing a suitable and comfy costume can boost your performance on the stage. In contrast, an unattractive outfit will make you feel unconfident in front of your fans.
In reality, some actors sometimes make mistakes in choosing their right clothes. As we all know, the breast is a wonderful and attractive gift that nature awards women. However, when they get older, the breast area tends to sag. For this reason, to maintain their beauty, actresses should opt for the best waist trainer for plus size – best minimizer bras for large breasts. Or else, the natural beauty may come with an adverse effect on the actresses’ magnificence.
Above is a common tutorial for actors to get dressed in a suitable way. Now, we will give you a more thorough guide to choose costumes for actors with specific body parts. Scroll down!
For The Body’s Lower Parts
In this section, we will talk about the dresses and skirts that female actors wear. As a matter of fact, male actors usually wear pants that are less risky to cause outfit-mistake like exposing sensitive body parts. Hence, we will focus on some notices when female actors put on dresses and skirts.
- Dresses and skirts bring grace to the person who wears them. Yet, their length can be a hindrance to the actors when moving and sitting. If the dresses are too long, they can cause tripping risk. On the other hand, if the skirts are too tight and short, the users may find it difficult to move.
- When putting on skirts and dresses, actors should opt for suitable undergarments. Or else, whatever not meant to be revealed will all be out in the open. This is such an embarrassing situation that no one wants to find themselves in.
- Making thoughtful consideration when you think of applying some accessories. Redundant external stuff like a petticoat can cause noisy sounds when you try to sit down.
For Your Feet
This section is a notice for both female and male actors. Write down some notes if you find them useful.
- There are four typical types of footwear: sandals, sneakers, (high) heeled shoes, and boots. Each type is suitable for different movements.
- Bear in mind that you shouldn’t wear flip-flops when you act on the stage. This kind of footwear causes irritating noise. Plus, it prevents you from getting suitable traction.
- Many, or almost every, female actor sees high heels as must-have items whenever they take part in acting activities, events, or TV shows. We can’t deny the fact that high heels improve the actresses’ height. However, they are also noisy ,like the flip-flops. Moreover, standing and walking decently on heels requires skills and practices.
- When performing on the stage, each actor will have to wear a different costume for their character. As a result, some actors may put on shoes, and some don’t. If your role demands footwear, you should pay attention to your movement to avoid stepping on people acting on their bare feet.
- There is another notice that you should pay attention to before acting on the stage, though this notice is not totally related to costume. Make sure that you have the staff sweep away all the dust and debris on the stage to avoid stepping on them while acting with your bare feet.
For Your Body’s Upper Parts
Costumes for the body’s upper parts are various. As a result, you can choose different outfits for your performance. However, you should concentrate on these notices below:
- Body-fit or slim-fit shirts can help male actors to demonstrate their muscular bodies. However, if the shirt is too tight, it can interfere with your actions. Therefore, you should avoid wearing body-fit or slim-fit shirts when your role involves constant movements.
#Coats, Jackets, Or Capes
- These clothes are suitable for characters at luxurious grade, so wearing a jacket or coat can improve your elegance. You should carefully consider how to put on and take off these outer clothes.
- You need to choose gloves that are comfortable for your hands. A tight pair of gloves can cause your hands to be stiff, whereas a loose one can result in slipperiness.
For Your Head
For almost every actor, both male and female, the face is their most important part. Hence, opting for the appropriate items for their head and face is crucial to improve their performance.
- Hats can easily fall off if you do secure them in the right way.
- Caps with wide brim can cover your face with shadow.
- You should clean and wash the wig on a regular basis to eliminate bacteria and dust.
- Wigs can interfere with the setting up of your microphones.
- masks will interrupt your vision.
- If you wear the masks for a long time, you may forget how to express the emotions on your face during a show.
- If the mask is too tight and stifling, it can change your voice.
- Skin allergy is the most obvious problem caused by makeup. For this reason, you should carefully wipe out the makeup layers immediately after your performance.
Putting on suitable clothes will play a significant role in deciding the success of an actor’s performance. Therefore, we think that our guide to choosing costumes for actors may help you a little bit to avoid outfit mistakes on the stage and utilize the costume’s advantage to its utmost.